TPO membrane, a wise choice
TPO membrane is one of the most common types of roofing used in large commercial installations, TPO has one of the best energy savings for single-layer membrane roofs !
At Toiture Impact, we are experts in the installation of single layer membrane roofs.
What is TPO membrane?
Thermoplastic polyolefin is a single-layer roofing membrane that is one of the fastest growing commercial roofing systems on the market.
TPO roof systems consist of a single layer of plastic and a reinforcement grid that can be used to cover flat roofs.
TPO membranes are manufactured in 10, 12 or 20 foot wide sheets. These sheets are then rolled up and transported to the commercial facility. TPO has gained acceptance in the industry with the natural reflective surface to reflect UV rays.
OPT accounts for approximately 40% of the commercial roofing market.
After preparing the existing substrate, either by cleaning or removing the existing roof, the insulation is installed.
The manager or owner of the installation can choose from several types of insulation options:
- Polyisocyanurate (Polyiso) - Polyisocyanurate (Polyiso) is the most commonly used type of insulation for roofing applications, Polyiso is more expensive but more cost-effective with a higher R-value.
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) - With the highest R-value per dollar, EPS is used for roof, wall and floor insulation. EPS can be used in contact with the ground and does not retain water over time.
- Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) - Usually defined by blue, green or pink color, XPS is between Polyiso and EPS in the price and performance range. XPS is semi-permeable with a perm of 1.
To get the best TPO roof prices, you will need to consider these key factors:
- The size of your roof
- The condition of the existing roof
- Roof access
- Selection of insulation
- System selection
- Roof penetrations
- Type of guarantee
The advantages of a TPO roof
If properly installed and maintained, a commercial single-ply membrane roof can last up to 30 years.
There are many other advantages of single-layer membrane roof systems:
- Customer's choice of insulation - Since the single-ply roof membrane does not include the insulation factor, as a customer, you have more options to insulate the roof of your facility.
- Class A fireproofing - TPO and EPDM membranes can achieve Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Class A fire resistance lists by adding fireproof chemicals during the manufacturing process.
- Reflective or retentive - OPT is generally white and highly reflective. On the other side of the spectrum, EPDM is often described as "Black roofs", due to the natural dark colour of the membrane.